By law all sales of alcohol conducted on licensed premises must be authorised by a personal licence holder. To apply to become a personal licence holder, the applicant must hold a regulated qualification to prove they can sell alcohol both legally and responsibly.
Who is this qualification for?
This qualification is aimed at individuals working in, or preparing to work in, any industry that involves the retail sale of alcohol. Anyone wishing to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol by retail on licensed premises must hold a personal licence.
How long will it take?
- Blended Learning
- We deliver via blended learning in various locations around Yorkshire.
- You attend our centre and undertake training video learning before taking a invigilated examination,
- You will receive a full certificate (not a eLearning certificate) within 5-10 working days of sitting your invigilated exam.
These include the nature, purpose and period of validity of a personal licence, the application process and legal duties when applying for a personal licence, the legal duties of a personal licence holder, the roles, responsibilities and functions of licensing authorities, the nature and strength of alcohol and the effect on the body and the law in relation to premises licences.
This qualification is assessed by a multiple-choice examination.
Once you have obtained your Personal Licence Holders qualification, you are in the position to apply for your Personal Licence.
What is the process?
Upon completion (when certificate hasd been received), you will be in a position to make an official application to your Local Licensing Authority to obtain a Licence.
This must be made to the relevant Licensing Offices who take jurisdiction over your residential address, whether based at your local council or Licensing Partnership. Once found, a valid Application must be made to this Office, in line with their Licensing Policy and complies with both Police and Immigration guidelines (as of 2017).
Typically, a valid Application consists of:
- a Criminal Record Check (DBS Certificate),
- Personal Licence Holders Certificate (This Course)
- Proof of Right to Work in the UK,
- two Passport Photos (certified) and the correct supporting documentation.
This process varies across the UK and it is essential that the Application is submitted correctly, regularly chased up, and checked once received.